Ouch – My Broken / Displaced Metatarsals !!

1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th metatarsals fractured.

1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th metatarsals broken / fractured.

I broke / fractured 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Metatarsals!

On May 23rd, 2009,  I was playing on a swing set with my nephews.  At the highest point, I jumped off the front.  (Trying to show them how a real man does it). I landed poorly and fractured the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th metatarsals in my right foot.  (see above photo)

Eleven days later (June 3rd), I had surgery to hold the broken bones in place…  A plate with screws on the 1st metatarsal, and pins through the centers of the 2nd and 3rd.   The 4th left to heal on its own.  I am in a hard cast now, and pretty much confined to my recliner.

I was told that I should be “partial” weight bearing after 6 to 8 weeks, but most of what I read indicates that it could take many months.  We shall see.

I’ve read many blogs from those who have broken the fifth (5th) metatarsal, and healing times seem to vary greatly.   Two of my fractures were displaced, so my impression is that the healing process could be long and drawn out.  This blog is my attempt to chronologize my progress and to share with others suffering similar injuries.

If you have broken your first, second, third, fourth, fifth or ALL of your metatarsals, then I would love you hear of your progress and final outcome.   Share your experience!!

Please read the ABOUT page prior to commenting.   Cheers!

X-ray shows displacement of 2nd and 3rd Metatarsals

During surgery - Plate and screws aligning 1st metatarsal bone.

Plates and Pins

June 9: Six days after surgery…


Pins aligning the 2nd and 3rd metatarsals

Definitely non-weight bearing!

Still swollen and bruised.  Now the hard cast goes on.


June 23, 2009
3 weeks post-op… Got my cast off and stitches out today.  X-rays taken show no union yet on the 2nd and 3rd metatarsals.  I am somewhat concerned, but Doctor says it often takes longer with some folks.  A new cast was put on and I go back again in 3 weeks.   If it appears then that the bones are healing, I will get the pins taken out and will go into a walking boot.   I still have pain 3 weeks post-op, but it seems to be subsiding with each passing day.   More later…

July 15, 2009
6 weeks post-op… Got my pins removed today and switched to an air cast.  Yeeeh!!!  Fractures showed union sufficient enough for pin (K wire) removal.  2 – 3 more weeks NWB and then therapy begins.  More later…

August 3, 2009
8 Weeks post-op… First day of Physical Therapy today.  I am doing well in the walking cast… more than 50% weight bearing.  Still no weight at all barefoot, but I feel that I am healing well.  Foot still swollen.  Range of motion improving, except in my toes.  Can bend up perhaps 75%, cannot bend down AT ALL.  Scars healing well, foot is nice, clean, and soft once again.   I put on a hard-soled hiking boot today and DROVE MY CAR for the first time in 9 weeks.  Yipee!!!   More later…

November 4, 2009
More than 5 months since surgery and I am still in pain and limping.   Going in for surgery this Monday for hardware removal.  Hopefully, that will begin my road to recovery.    See my posting below for a more detailed update.  Dave

November 19, 2009
Ok.  Hardware finally out on Nov. 9th!   I know now that some of the pain I was experiencing was due to the plate and screws.  Neither I nor the doctor can say exactly why it was causing pain, but there’s no doubt that it was.  Still hurts a bit… still limping… still feels tender and fragile.   I’m glad the hardware is out though… I figure that now I begin my road to recovery.    I’ll report back in a few weeks.

April 20, 2010
Been a long time since I updated.   Almost a year since I broke my foot and while I am getting around ok, I am still limping and there is a fair amount of pain in the joints.   The bones have completely heeled, but I’m afraid that due to the nature on my injury, I’m developing arthritis quick than I had expected.   I see the surgeon one last time tomorrow.   After that, I’ll probably hook up with a good POD that I can see from time to time.  I think a second set of eyes… a second opinion… might not be a bad thing anyway.   I wish I could report to all of you that things are back to normal, but I live with pain everyday.  It is especially worse in the mornings and after I’ve been sitting for a while.   One year from now, I cannot tell if it will be somewhat better, or somewhat worse.     More later…

October 25, 2011
Hi all, Dave here (footsahurtin).   So glad that my little blog here has grown so long and has seemingly  helped so many people.
The reason I started it in the first place was because I too began Googling as much as I could to get info and other folk’s experiences, and there was not a lot out there on a “personal” basis.   All of your posts seem to have hit home with so many people and have provided much needed help and comfort.   It’s always good to know that at any given time, one is not alone in their particular suffering, and that others are going through the very same thing at the very same time.As an update, I do OK these days with shoe inserts, but walking barefoot, and during the first hour or so in the morning after getting out of bed, I still feel a fair amount of pain.  Throughout the day it gets better.  A bit of arthritis I think. I’ve learned to live with it.Thanks again for all of your comments and contributions.  I will keep this blog going for as long as folks keep posting… and then some!!!
Speedy recovery to all,

February 2017:
Greetings, Footsahurtin here! (Dave). It’s been quite some time since I’ve posted so I figure it’s time for an update.
Almost 8 years have now past since my accident and I continue to do well, moving about and engaging in physical activities unassisted and with little pain. From time to time, I’ll feel stiffness in my foot and occasionally experience a sudden shooting pain and “lock-up” in my foot that causes me to pause, stretch my foot in a circular motion, and gently walk it off for a minute or so. Doc still advises that a degree of arthritis and calcium build up has taken place. The occasional moments of pain are brief, however, and I am far from yet considering further bone fusion or any other remedial procedures. All in all, life is good and apart from the occasional pain, my “careless incident” is a distant memory.
I’ve been amazed at the level of engagement in these posts since I first published it. It is wonderful and gratifying to see those in the same or similar situation find helpful answers, suggestions, solace, and encouragement in reading and participating in these threads. That was my primary intent when creating the blog.
I wish those of you viewing this blog for the first time a very speedy recovery; and for those of you who had posted several years back, I hope that you are back on your feet and doing well!
God Bless,
Footsahurtin (Dave)

NOTE: This blog has grown tremendously since my first post. I am trying to find a good way to break up the posts into pages. Meanwhile, you will find at the bottom of the page a selection for “OLDER” and “NEWER” posts.
The blog begins with the oldest posts.


570 responses to this post.

  1. Posted by C Champ on July 3, 2009 at 8:01 am

    Ouch! I broke my 3rd and 4th metatarsals but only the 3rd was out of alignment. I walked on it for 4 days before I decided there might be something more seriously wrong with it. So, ER put on a cast and said “no weight” on it. Ortho looked at xray and called for surgery. They did insert a plate on my 3rd and now have a cast to the knee. I go back 10 days after surgery to see what’s happening. It doesn’t really hurt that badly but it is darn inconvenient! Luckily, it’s my left foot!


    • Posted by footsahurtin on July 3, 2009 at 11:41 am

      C Champ – I wonder why sometimes the surgeon will align the metetarsal shafts with pins (in my case) and other times with a plate (in your case)?

      If you look at my 3rd metetarsal the photo above, it doesn’t seem that the pin has the fracture in perfect alignment. I think a small plate with screws might have held the bones together tighter and closer?

      I’m surprised that your foot doesn’t hurt too bad! Mine was “hurtin gootin” for the first couple of weeks. But I’m 4 weeks from surgery this week and no pain anymore.


      • Posted by Lee on January 15, 2013 at 3:45 pm

        Guys, I broke all 5 Metatarsal’s and had pins inserted for 4 months and when they removed the pins, my foot lost about 1.5cm’s in length and I have a huge hump in my foot. The injury was 2 years ago next month and the top of my foot is still numb and I get really bad pains, I don’t know if the surgeon messed u or the fact I was not offered physio afterwards but does anyone have any suggestions on how to relieve the constant pain in my foot.

      • Posted by Brittany on August 26, 2013 at 3:28 am

        Lee, I broke all 5 of my metatarsals too. I had a pin that was taken out and I have a plate and 4 screws. I also have humps in different places on my foot. im only a little over 3 months in but the top of my foot is still numb too. it won’t quite be the same because your was 2 years ago but I just started walking again and im going through some pretty bad pains too. I was also not offered physio. I don’t think your surgeon messed up because our symptoms are so similar. but whenever my foot is really hurting I soak it in hot water for about 20 minutes then elevate it (and I mean really elevate it like put that thing as high as possible) with ice for about at hour. I also take arthritis tylonal because it’s stronger. i’d like to hear more of your story so I can know what’s coming for me in the future. I hope I was able to help a little.

      • Posted by Jacqueline Emigh on November 7, 2015 at 1:40 am

        Hi. I walked into one of New York City’s famed potholes on a dark night in early August, My left foot twisted once in each direction. Then I lost my balance and fell on top of my foot. OUCH!! At first I thought the foot was just sprained, but after two days of pain, I headed to the emergency room. It turned out that I’d fractured the second, third and fourth metatarsals, with the third displaced. After wearing a temporary splint — with crutches — for a week, I was advised by doctors to have surgery with pins. However, I begged them to just let me try a walking boot cast instead, and they were willing…This worked out pretty well, although the healing time has been kind of long. (But then again, I am a 63-year-old female and I have osteoporosis.) At eight weeks, I was still unable to wear a shoe on my left foot due to pain and swelling, although I could walk barefoot without any pain. At nine weeks, I tried a post-op surgical shoe, and that was fine. At ten weeks, I went out and bought a pair of shoes with a one-inch heal, once size too large. (I’d read online that buying larger shoes can help.) At 12 weeks, I’m pretty delighted. I can walk around everywhere in actual shoes without pain and I feel practically back to normal. I still can’t wear my regular shoes, though, due to lingering swelling, and I can’t walk in high heels (even in a larger size) because they put too much pressure on the metatarsals.. I’m going back to the doctor next week to get another x-ray. If the foot is still fractured, he can get me one of those stimulators, The doctor tells me that it “works like magic.” (However, my insurance company won’t pay for this unless the foot is still fractured at 90 days.) I’m also going to look into other possible remedies for reducing swelling, such as compression socks, turmeric, and injections…This is a WONDERFUL blog. Thank you for starting and maintaining it. I wish everyone in this situation the very best of luck. A broken foot can be very debilitating, but always remember that it will heal. I do suggest that people talk to their doctors about alternatives to surgery, such as “the boot.” (If you get the boot, though, you’ll probably have to wear it 24/7, even to bed, for around a month, and then wear it whenever you do much walking for another two weeks or more.) Some doctors today do favor the walking boot, because it allows you to walk around and function while protecting the foot and keeping weight off of the metatarsals. You can do things like going shopping and to sports events and getting together with friends pretty easily, instead of sitting at home all day. The boot is kind of heavy and cumbersome, though, and you can’t drive while wearing it. Also, your doctor will probably want you to use crutches with the boot for a few weeks to help you to rebalance, due to the weight of the boot.

    • Posted by Drunken Cage Fight on July 30, 2009 at 5:02 pm

      That break is sick and to be shown off. While camping in a feild my friend and I decided to see who was the toughest, and started to wrestle. Unforntunately it ended up with the 2nd and 3rd metetarsal bones broken in my right foot. Whether it was caused by crushing or over rotation we don’t know, but its done and that’s that. I had a back slab cast on for 1 week, then returned for more x-rays and to see the ortho specialist. He recommended no surgery because bones were not mis-aligned. So a below the calf walking boot was prescribed with not weight bearing what so ever. The boot caused major muscle pain in calf and following week was swapped out for a below the knee walking boot, still no weight bearing. Second week x- rays showed scheduled healing in bones, however leg muscles are gone to “crap. ” Week 3 i started some light physiotherapy. No strenghtening, just range of motion. So here i am on day 20 doing light physio 3 times daily, vits, no weight bearing, crutches and suffering from mild to strong muscle pain and strong cabin fever. ANYONE GOT ANY GUESSES ON AN ETA OF TOTAL HEALING?


    • Posted by Virginia on July 25, 2010 at 8:21 pm

      Well guys you are in for the long haul and looking at possible reinjury. I had a Liz Franc fracture of the 1st metatarsal and cuniforium bone in 2005. Hurt like there was no tomarrow took surgery, two screws placed 6 weeks no weight bearing and then another 2 weeks no weight bearing after they took the screws out and then four months of physical therapy. My foot was never the same. Arthritis set in so that only makes matters worse. But after four years was finally getting back to hicking. December of 2009 it happened again only worse Liz Franc of all five metatarsals. So another surgery 5 pins two screws and 6 weeks no weight bearing. This time they left the screws in. This second break was from simply taking a step on the foot. Here it is 7 months later and walking but it is not the same. Will always have a limp. Always have pain. Per my surgeon once this ligament is damaged it never trully heals and you will always have problems for the rest of our lives.


      • Posted by Lori on December 23, 2015 at 3:43 am

        Has it ever gotten any better? I have broken first metatarsal and tarsometatar joint dislocation and broke my big toe and also tibial plateau fracture I have pins in my leg with a rod and just had a plate removed from my foot. I haven’t worked in 3 months and supposed to be returning in 1 week my foot still turns all shades of blue when standing on it does this ever go away?

      • Posted by wayne on February 22, 2017 at 11:14 am

        i broke my foot 5 months ago bone stim not helping cast for 1 month not helping another cast 1 month not mri ct scan still broken dr says now surgery bone grafting pins screws plates what am i in for can some one tell me? wayne

    • Posted by jessicam on May 2, 2011 at 5:19 pm

      I was at work and had a 300 plus lb.counter top fall from a hoist and break. Having a huge part of it land on my foot! Not a good place for a female as myself to work…but anyhow 2nd and 3rd were displaced the 5th not.I went a month in a splint because of my job giving me the run around..i wasnt aware of workers comp laws as i am now. had surgery after a month got two plates and two screws. also one pin that didnt stay in too long on the smaller fracture.I had an mri post opp.my doc was worried about my ankle.saw nothing. after id say 5 months or so it finally started healing!! my dr.blames my smoking for the slow healing.He put me in a walking cast ..no weight on the foot yet. i started PT and off the boot came..then no crutches. so as of today i am still going to PT had another mri for my ankle because it still hurts,,seems i already have arthiritis..not sure what that feels like all i know is my ankle hurts bad…and its so stiff my therapist is even surprised…my toes are still stiff also but i can move them a little. But now the more i walk on it the more pain im in…where the hardware is hurts 24/7…and the ankle not helping the situation. they just put me back to work…the insurance co.from the job got on my dr.about it taking so long…so he put me on so many restrictions all i can really do is sit..limited everything. i find it painful just to walk to the office from my car. all in all its been rough and my dr.says ill prob.need to have the hardware removed ….im not sure whats gonna happen i go to the dr.again wed.not easy dealing with 2 kids a broke foot and workers comp. i know im not ready to be on my foot yet…any info would help me about workers comp…


      • Posted by Lisa on October 7, 2012 at 11:50 am

        I’m in the throws of the exact injury… Three months, terrible pain, non weight bearing and the workers’ comp nightmares. HELP!

  2. Posted by C Champ on July 3, 2009 at 2:04 pm

    I told the Dr. that I was a big walker and he said that he wanted to make sure that I didn’t have problems in the future. The break in the 3rd looked fairly similar to your break. My 4th was just a straight fracture. I didn’t have the nerve to take pictures or ask for them for them to be taken after the surgery. I do have a CD with the original break but it’s with the surgeon. Your foot is a lot more bruised than mine was. Mine was bruised initially but when the swelling went down, it wasn’t bad. It may be bruised now though. I’ll know more next Friday. Take care.


  3. Posted by Alex on July 5, 2009 at 12:55 am

    I just fractured my 2nd 3rd and 4th metatarsals one is displaced and the others are somewhat misaligned the doctor but my in a aircast and said if they moved at all im in for surgery i do not want that.


    • Posted by footsahurtin on July 5, 2009 at 1:52 pm

      Hope he was able to align the bones well enough to maintain position in an air cast! Seems a hard cast would be more appropriate?? If your foot does need surgery, I think it’s better to have it done sooner than later. I’ve read of folks that waited a month or two before surgery, and that often delays the healing process. But I’m sure your doc is on top of it.
      Keep the weight off… keep your foot elevated… and best of luck in your recovery Alex!!


      • Posted by alex on July 5, 2009 at 2:31 pm

        The injury accured last thursday and i go back tuesday for x-rays then they will decide if they will do surgery or not. If not i will be put in a hard cast and sent home. But if so the following day i will have outpatient.

    • Posted by Lynne on October 24, 2009 at 4:34 pm

      Tripped and fell 9/22. Extreme pain! ER diagnosed LisFranc following non wt bearing xrays. Transverse fxs of proximal aspect of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th metatarsals, displacement less than 2 mm, bruising of cuboid. Obtained 2 dr opinion, one is D.O. the other a foot/ankle surgeon. Both drs said non wt bearing for minimum of 8 wks in boot or temporary splint with ace wrap to protect only when transferring/transporting or using crutches/walker/wheelchair. 1 wk later MRI done, one radiologist says no ligament damage, other one is unable to determine from MRI if lisfranc ligament is or is not damaged I! Surgeon said that since I am “young and active” that he recommended surgery within 3 weeks. (I am 59 years old but very active physically). Surgeon also suggested general anesthesia (as pain would be so excruciating that no one would be able to tolerate) and his manual manipulation of fx foot to determine if lisfranc ligament is intact, or that I try to stand on my foot and have full wt bearing xray done to see if my foot spreads out!! The D.O. on the other hand, said that no wt bearing x rays should be done until bones heal, approx 7-8 weeks, then wants me to full wt bear for xrays to determine if lisfranc ligament is damaged (he will do xray of both feet to compare undamaged right foot with the healing/damaged left foot). If the ligament is damaged my foot will spread out between the 1st metatarsal and the 2nd when I bear weight and my foot will be unstable and I will need to have surgical repair with screws and another 8-10 weeks non-wt bearing. Both dr say my foot will never be the same and can expect minimum 25% chance of arthritis at site of damage in my future. I have chosen to avoid surgery if possible and will have further xrays 7 weeks post injury to determine degree of healing and if appropriate at that time, will full wt bear for xrays to determine if lisfranc ligament is in fact intact.

      At this point, I am 32 days post injury and my foot is much less swollen, still bruising evident on entire foot, especially on the inside bottom where the cuboid is located and sides, and I have a constant dull, achey pain on the bottom and inside the arch area. I have a weird velcro type feeling on the inside aspect of my 1st metatarsal near the arch and am hoping it is not a ligament that is damaged! I am able to flex my ankle and move my toes. My once firm, strong calf muscle seems to have atrophied to the point of nonexistence. I will definitely need phyical therapy once I begin walking!

      I have been a runner and been very physically active all my life. I am a nurse and have taken care of others my entire life. I now spend my days in a recliner with my foot elevated whenever possible. My disabled husband is now my caretaker. It is quite humerous watching us in our two wheelchairs maneuvering around our two cats. We are managing are appreciating eachother and finding humor in whatever we can.

      The pain of this initial injury was so excruciating that I nearly passed out. I knew immediately that I had broken bones! I was careful to not put any pressure on my foot and sought immediate help in the ER, applied ice packs and elevated my foot. Still my foot swelled 2X its size and the bruising on top and bottom of my foot was tremendous. The ER wait was over 3 hours and it was 5 hours before a temporary splint was applied. If I hadn’t requested and applied the ice pack myself while in the ER waiting area, I would not have had ice packs until 4 hours post injury!! I never complained to the hospital but I did however recieved a letter of apology from the CEO of the hospital regarding the long wait time.

      I appreciate you posting this blog site. What a blessing to find others with similar situations! I would like hearing the experiences of others with this injury, also. Hoping you all are finding joy in the little things. Speedy recovery and best wishes to all of you!


      • Posted by Carrie on July 8, 2011 at 9:14 am

        I appreciate your post. On June 9th I fell taking my dog to the groomers, broke my 2nd, comminuted the 3rd, and 4th metatarsals. The pain was intense, I am also a nurse in the military. It is in the healing process, the pain comes and goes some days are better than others. The 3rd and 4th phalanges are numb as well as the middle of my foot between the sutures. I am hoping the feeling will return. The stitches come out on the 12th, 3 weeks post op. I am hoping for a good recovery, being in the military I have physical requirements to meet.
        I wish everyone a speedy recovery as well.

      • Posted by Jean Dopler on August 18, 2011 at 9:19 pm

        Just recently broke 4 of mine – don’t know which ones as the Dr. scared me to death when she said I might have to have surgery.

        Today it has been a week since my fall and I go Monday for a follow up. They could not cast me as there was too much swelling. Swelling has not gone down and my foot still feels like it is asleep. I am in a splint and ace bandage. Not able to crutch very well as I had my C6 & C7 disecomtemy done last Spring. ** I am sure I spelled that wrong!**

        Guess I am in for a long recovery…Glad to see this blog though so I know I can read about what others are going through as well.

        Good luck to everyone else and a speedy recovery as well!!

  4. Posted by Angie on July 14, 2009 at 8:38 am

    So glad I finally found a blog about broken metatarsals (not so glad for all of us going through it). I broke my 2nd, 3rd and 4th on July 4th. I went to the ER on July 5th and was put in a splint and instructed to see an ortho surg on the 6th. Ortho said at that time I was “a very lucky girl” and there was little displacement. He put me in a fiberglass cast and scheduled another round of x-rays for tomorrow (the 15th). If anything has shifted, I’ll need surgery. Needless to say, I’m scared to death. I keep telling myself that it could be worse, I’ve read a lot of blogs in the last week about ankles and am thankful mine stayed intact from the sound of things.

    I wish everyone a speedy recovery, though it sounds like we may all be in this for the long haul. Keep me informed of your progress.


    • Posted by footsahurtin on July 14, 2009 at 9:02 am

      I too go in tomorrow (July 15th) to get this cast off and xrays taken. If my bones are healing then the Doc will remove the pins… Yipee!! If there is no union yet, then the pins stay and another cast goes on.
      Glad you did not have displacement and I hope nothing has shifted. Hopefully, your good 1st and 5th metatarsals will help hold the 3 middle ones in place!

      … let us know how you broke your foot on my blog section entitled “How I Did It”.
      Good luck Angie ~ Keep us posted!


  5. Posted by C Champ on July 14, 2009 at 9:13 am

    I got my cast removed on Friday just ten days after surgery. I saw the xray with the plate and 5 screws holding everything in place. The surgeon was “pleased” with his work and so am I. He said that they will leave everything in place. I am now in an “air cast” with instructions to put no weight on it for 2 more weeks. Then, 3 additional weeks with the “air cast” but no crutches. I am just happy to have the cast off!! It still doesn’t hurt and I’m counting down the days until I can throw the crutches away!


  6. Posted by footsahurtin on July 15, 2009 at 6:00 pm

    Got my pins removed today 6 weeks post-op. Some mild pain during removal for but only for a split second. It did bleed a bit.
    Fiberglass cast was removed and I was given an FP Air Cast. Nice!!! Now I can wash and moisturize my hagged out, dried up foot. I need to remain non weight bearing for 2-3 more weeks, and then should be able to begin physical therapy and start putting weight on it… gradually putting more on over the course of 4 weeks until full weight bearing. (6 more weeks walking on my own).


    • Posted by Lo on August 16, 2015 at 3:21 am

      Thank you SO MUCH for creating this blog. I have found such limited information on fractured metatarsals, especially displaced. Four weeks ago I was playing double dutch jump rope with my daughter and her class and I just had a freak landing on a seam in the concrete. I broke my 5th metatarsal on left foot, displacing it by 7mm. I had surgery a week later and am now about 3 weeks postop. Swelling has reduced a lot but still very present as you mentioned in your journey. I have three pins in the bone that I am very much hoping I get removed on my appt. in five days with Ortho. If xray not showing substantial healing, pins stay in for another 2 weeks.

      I was very relieved to see that you had minimal pain during pin removal. I have to say I have a lot of anxiety about how it is going to feel, especially since there are 3 pins. Wondering if I should take Advil or Vicodin before MD appt to help with removal? Any advice is appreciated!!

      Other than that, I am trying to be a good patient and rest in bed and elevate. There is a dramatic difference if I do elevate. If I am on my leg scooter for even a small amount I pay for it with edema and pain. I have 3 young kids, am a nurse and like to compete in triathlons and races, so it is maddening for me to lay around. But I am trying to be patient and reading everyone’s posts very much reminds me that if I want to heal properly, I have to go slow.

      thank you again and certainly hope you are feeling excellent and this is all behind you!


      • Posted by don on August 16, 2015 at 12:49 pm

        Had a very similar break, two pins, (kwires) very little pain on removal, just a sting from the insertion wound..mainly it just felt and looked WIERD maybe a bit of an ache for one day. I guess to me , compared to the initial injury…pain?? Ha! That’s not pain. .i know REAL PAIN! My wife video ed the removal…kinda fun to show it to others.. looks barbaric…but really relax..it’s just called improvement. Best advice… stay active..more you move the more you improve. If it hurts. .ease back but don’t stop. 5 months on you can barely see my walk isn’t normal…getting close to perfect..tho a bit slow when I concentrate on doing it right ( no limp ) walking about 5km per day.
        Hang in there soon it is just a memory☺

  7. Posted by Angie on July 16, 2009 at 8:34 am

    Glad your pins got removed and you can finally see some light at the end of the tunnel. My appt with the surgeon went great yesterday, as well. He said everything has managed to line back up very well and is looking good. I was so happy I got a little teary. (I don’t think it helped my emotional state when prior to this the x-ray tech asked how I was and I said “scared” she said “I don’t blame you.” That wasn’t quite the reassurance I was looking for.) Anyway, still no walking. He wants it to heal some more before applying any weight so I’m back in 2 weeks. This is fine by me, I won’t complain or push my luck. Here’s to an uneventful remainder of our recoveries!


  8. Posted by footsahurtin on August 1, 2009 at 11:39 am

    Pins out… Now 8 weeks post op, and I’m in a walking FP Aircast. I will begin PT on Monday. I can put about 25% weight on the foot right now WITH the walking cast, but no weight at all without it! Very little range of motion in first 3 toes. WIth PT I expect to be able to bend toes UP enough to walk soon, but toes do not bend DOWN at all… nothing… nada… zip!

    My foot is still very swollen, which concerns me a bit 2 months after surgury, but I’ve read that this is not that uncommon. I have an appt with my surgeon in about 3 weeks, and he expects me to walk into his office without crutches (but still in the aircast). We’ll see how that goes….


    • Posted by Abi on August 2, 2009 at 5:07 pm

      My wife was involved in a road traffic accident – she was crossing the road and a 4×4 tyre drove over her right foot…. this led to 3rd & 4th metatarsals being crushed – operation was needed to insert 2 plates and lots of screws to align the bones. that was on the 24th June and she had the op on 30th june. we saw the consultant on fri and he was quite happy with the healing & bone alignment – took the cast off and gave her a boot but she still has to be non-weight bearing for the next 4 weeks and the foot has to be elevated above her heart to reduce swelling… we’ll see how we go.

      We asked about arthritis when we were there and he said it is pretty much dependant on the alignment of bones but also is person specific as some people as more susceptible to arthritis than others.

      Keep us posted on how you get on and we will do the same

      Best of luck


      • Posted by footsahurtin on August 3, 2009 at 8:31 pm

        Sounds quite similar to mine ABI. My photos above show the severity of my injury, yet I can tell you that as of today, exactly 8 weeks post-op, I am in a walking cast and able to put a bit more than 50% weight on it already. Barefoot, I can barely even put my foot on the floor, but I see the light at the end of the tunnel and I can almost feel the foot healing lttle by little each day!

        Do not be surprised if the swelling remains for longer than you think it ordinarily should. Mine is still swollen but I understand that it can take many months for it to return to normal. Meanwhile, advise your wife to take it slowly… I tend to want to go harder than I should as I am anxious to walk normally again, but follow the doc’s instructions and increase the weight bearing according to the schedule he/she prescribes.

        Also… The elevation above the heart thing is important. The swelling, it’s all about gravity. If the foot is straight out, even lying flat in bed, then it’s still not high enough. It’s got to be ABOVE the heart. After 8 weeks I no longer need to do this much during the day; but I notice that after a full day of hobbling around on crutches, I really need to prop it up and put an ice pack on it to help the swelling go down.

        You don’t state where her 3rd and 4th metatarsals were broken. Arthritis is a disease of the JOINT. If the fractures were near mid-shaft, then she should not have a problem with arthritis. If there was severe damage or displacement at the base or end of the shaft at the joint, then there is a decent likelihood that post-traumatic arthritis could set in one day. I’m no doctor, but that’s what I’ve come to learn over the past couple of months.

        Best of luck to your wife! It WILL get better!

      • Posted by Abi on August 12, 2009 at 5:22 pm

        Hope you are OK. Just updating you that my wife is definately on the mend – she is no longer feeling any pain and has gone off all painkillers which we hope is a good sign.. just as a matter of interest, one of our friends told us about the miracle characteristics of cabbage – yes cabbage! Apparently, if you take raw cabbage leaves and just scrunch them up a bit and put them on the swelling, it reduces the swelling – you would need to leave it on fo 2-3 hours each time. My wife has been trying this since yesterday (desperate times call for desperate measures!!) and we do believe that it is beginning to work – the colour has definately gone back to her normal skin colour – previously, it was bluey black so something must be working. not sure we will tell the doctors at the hospitalthis though!

        Have you started your physio? how are you getting on? can you put some weight on it yet & how often do you need to go?

        Best of luck with it all

  9. Posted by footsahurtin on August 12, 2009 at 10:12 pm

    Had my second Physical Therapy today. It’s been almost 10 weeks since my surgery. I am still in the walking cast (FP Aircast) and can now pretty well walk without crutches while wearing it. Without crutches, I still can not put any weight on it without a lot of pain. It is still swollen, but I am told that it’s normal. Swelling can last for many many months. My foot still has pain to the touch around the fracture sites, but all-in-all it’s getting better, and I too no longer take pain killers.

    I am hoping that within the next 2 or 3 weeks, I can nix the boot and begin putting weight on my foot. I think they’re going to get me started on that at my next PT.

    Glad you wife is on the mend!! I have never heard of the cabbage thing, but heck I might just try it and see if it helps my swelling go down. I’ll report back if it does!



  10. Posted by Angie on August 15, 2009 at 8:46 am

    How is everyone doing? I had my 6 week appt yesterday. I had high hopes for being done, only to have one cast removed and another one put on. Ortho surgeon said everything is lined up well and is healing, but at this point we are STILL trying to avoid surgery. The 2nd and 4th metas are good, but the 3rd was a pretty severe break in a bad spot. Mine are at the top, just below the joint. I’m supposed to start partial weight bearing today, but am terrified of doing more damage. He also told me yesterday that he’s concerned there may be a lis franc fracture that he can’t see on the x-rays. That’s a ligament between the big toe and 2nd meta that hold them together. So I’m back in another 2 weeks for more x-rays to make sure there is no “spreading” between those. Even if everything looks good at that point, I’ll be in this cast for at least 4 more weeks.

    I’m pretty discouraged right now, but am trying to keep my spirits up. Who knew this would be such a long process? I know I have to get up and start getting my muscles in my ankle and leg built back up. When they took off the cast, my poor foot was flopping around like a fish out of water. What a terrible feeling!


    • Posted by Paul on September 6, 2009 at 6:02 pm

      I feel the same way with the dead fish, its scary and I am 10 weeks past surgery and not expected to put any weight for 6 more weeks?? seems long but I was crushed pretty bad so i just have to put the trust in docs?? I am scared when time comes to walk on it????


    • Posted by footsahurtin on September 7, 2009 at 10:14 pm

      Angie – Are you saying that when your cast came off, your foot was shaking / flopping up and down involuntarily? Mine did the same thing! I could not hold it in one position. The doc thought is was strange, but I’m sure it was just from lack of use after being immobile for so long. The muscles just spasm out!


    • Posted by Sherry Johnston on September 17, 2012 at 11:15 pm

      Hi Angie, I am sure you are fully recovered and may not even be reading this blog/forum any longer. I need to say thank you so much. Today I had my 7 week follow up and pins (k-wires) removed. I was a little freaked out that I could not no matter how hard I tried flex my foot using my ankle. Just like you my foot was floppy!! I read your post and breathed sigh of relief ok it is normal and it just needs to regain strength after 7 weeks non bearing. I am now in a walking air cast, surgeon says no crutches after I get my balance. I disagree I am 30% weight bearing but feel like I will need crutches to assist for a while. I broke 3 bones top of foot, 3 joints and the 1 st meta is crushed and they are hoping it will fuse on its own. Thank you to everyone, reading about your experiences helps as I see what I am going through is normal and things will get better! What really helped me at week 4 was the serenity prayer. God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can;and wisdom to know the difference. I am not a religious person per say but it really helped put my experience into perspective.Thanks again and best wishes to all. Sherry


  11. Posted by C Champ on August 18, 2009 at 10:18 am

    Went to the ortho yesterday for new xrays and the hopeful “casting off” of my airboot. Although the bone was healing and new bone was being made, it was still not far enough along to get rid of my airboot. He thought it was about 80% healed and wants me to continue to wear it for another month. The 4th metatarsal looked fine but the 3rd is the one with the plate and screws. Still doesn’t hurt! But, he does want me to bend my toes down with pressure so that I don’t get “hammer toes”. We leave for Spain the day that I get to remove the airboot so I HOPE that it will be 100% by then!! Take care everyone!


  12. Posted by james on September 4, 2009 at 11:51 am

    The person who had the pins placed in the 3rd and 4th metatarsal might be able to give me some advice . I had both bones fractured and healed out of alignment-now I have pain walking. This is 5 years after a truck hit me while I was bicycling. I’m sure I need the bones realigned and the pin insertion looks like a doctor who knows what he is doing-mine could’nt have cared less and let them heal malaligned-I need a better doctor. Mine also left my wrist to heal out of alignment. HELP!


  13. Posted by C Champ on September 4, 2009 at 12:52 pm

    My doctor is in Michigan and is really, really good. He knew that I walk a lot and took that into consideration. I had surgery on July 1st and I still have the airboot on until 9/11. We are leaving on vacation and I told that it was going to be difficult enough going through the screening process! I have a small scar about 1 1/2 inches long where the plate and screws were put in. My 4th metatarsal was not out of alignment. My foot never really hurt a lot but it was swollen. I’m hopefully that it continues that way. Good luck!


  14. Posted by Paul on September 6, 2009 at 5:14 pm

    Hey I liked your blog. In June I was hit on my Motorcycle and my Left foot got badly crushed. I broke all five and dislocated other bones in my left foot. I had Three pins and a one Screw in the Big first toe. The Pins did not come out until Week 9.The Middle bones where crushed to power is the way the Doc said to me and will need to heal on their own. week nine was just this last week so I am on day 4 with no pins. Feels a lot better but I still cannot bear any weight for another 6 weeks and am in a air cast. I was told I could if laying down take foot out and maybe work on some Range of Motion on my ankle,. I am been scared of the long term problems I might have as I am or was into sports much and was a fast runner. I hope to hear back to see how folks are doing. I was so luck bones never broke skin and was able to keep my foot and my life. Its has been hard since I have never broke a bone ever. I dont have Ins and am working on getting it now and cant wait till time comes for me to get PT and move on. Bless you all who have suffer my same fate.


    • Posted by footsahurtin on September 7, 2009 at 10:24 pm

      Hang in there Paul. I am not 13 weeks post-op and still in the aircast. X-rays last week showed that my bones are not yet fully healed, and I need to be very careful not to push it. I can limp around with quite a bit of pain, and am no where near ready for full weight bearing without the boot. A little discouraging but in my case, I think the delayed healing is a result of my addiction to nicotine gum! Not sure if you smoke or not, but for certain nicotine constricts blood vessels which bring healing to the fracture sites. I think if I did not chew so much gum, I may have been much further along by now. Remember, however, that no injury is the same and everyone heals at a different rate. You’ll heal I’m sure… just be patient and don’t push it. I am so anxious to walk barefoot again and I have to force myself to take it easy. You’ll enjoy PT, by the way.


  15. Posted by Angie on September 8, 2009 at 7:53 am

    Hope everyone is doing well. Looks like a lot of us are at around the same time frame in the healing process and are maybe going through a little “plateau” stage that’s getting us down.

    I’m at 10 weeks post injury this week. I’m still in my cast, but was given the okay by the OS to lose my walking devices 2 weeks ago today. A lot easier said than done. I was only about 10 days partial weight bearing when he said I was ready to go. He acted like I should be able to hop up and walk out of his office without anything and I’m still “aided” most of the time now, so that’s a little discouraging. I have managed to walk around the house without a crutch the last few days, but not too far and not for too long. Mornings are the worst for me. My first thought this morning was “am I ever going to be able to wake up, get out of bed and just get ready to go without giving myself 2 hours to warm up?” Putting any weight on it first thing is a struggle.

    Everything is so painful now. My next appt is the 25th and I’m seriously doubting I’ll be done with this even at that point, which will be exactly 3 months. I’m trying to stay positive and count my blessings. I’m hoping that I’ve avoided all surgery and all this pain is normal, which I’m sure it probably is. I’m glad to finally be able to get out of the house and do things, even if it means careful planning and calculations of “how long will I have to walk” ‘will there be somewhere to put my foot up” “exactly how many steps is it from where I’ll be to the restroom, door, chair, car?”

    I’ve truly enjoyed your blog. Despite the setbacks, it’s nice to know I’m not the only one going through these ups and downs. Happy healing to all!


    • Posted by Lynne on October 24, 2009 at 5:05 pm

      Angie, I think we have similar injuries. You are way ahead of me in the healing process though. How are you doing? Did you have a lis franc ligament damage? Drs aren’t sure if I have ligament damage or not and I am also hoping to avoid surgery for 2nd, 3rd and 4th metatarsal fxs. Very painful! They don’t want me in cast! Hoping metatarsal 1 and 5 hold others in place!

      Let me know how you are progressing….can you walk yet?


      • Posted by Angie on October 25, 2009 at 10:14 am

        Hi Lynne,

        I haven’t heard anything else about a lis franc fracture since the one time he mentioned it, so I assume he no longer considers it an issue. I’m a little over 16 weeks right now and am still in a cam walker, which I have been in since week 10. I had hoped to get out of it 2 weeks ago, but my ortho surgeon changed his mind. I have bone growth and nothing has shifted, but my fracture is where you bear all your weight. He’s worried something may still happen at this point that will cause a shift and require surgery to fix.

        Sadly, even though I have been weight bearing for 2 months, I still have the severe muscle atrophy you are experiencing and think I will until I can get out of the cam walker and resume full range of motion. I also still have constant aching at my fracture site. It’s been a long, scary, difficult journey that I hope will end soon. I go back on Friday for more x-rays (this will be my ninth set). The PA said last time, even if everything looks great this time, I’ll probably still have at least 2 more appts before being turned lose.

        The best advice I can give you is to keep your spirits up and take care of yourself. Some days will be really hard, but it will get better. A good website with a lot of support is http://www.mybrokenleg.com. You are free to share your concerns with those that have been through it and everyone is great.

    • Posted by Lynne on November 1, 2009 at 10:13 pm

      How are you doing? Are you receiving physical therapy yet? How’s your calf muscle?
      My foot at nearly 6 wks post injury is still non wt bearing and less painful but still alot of bruising. My skin peeled as though I had a sunburn. My foot gets very red and extremely warm and begins swelling if I don’t keep it elevated. Did you experience that?
      Hoping you are progressing to full recovery.
      Still another 2 weeks before dr has me stand full weight on it for xray to determine if lis franc ligament will hold my foot together or if I need surgery.
      Let me know your progress and what to expect. Best wishes to you.


      • Posted by Angie on November 2, 2009 at 7:29 am

        Hi Lynne,

        Everything you are experiencing is normal. No worries! I’m at 17 weeks and had an OS appt on Friday. He’s finally letting me get back into REAL boots (no sneakers, no flip flops, only boots). I’m still not completely healed though which has him concerned. At my age, 31, he said this should have been healed months ago so I’m scheduled to get a bone density scan before my next appt in 4 weeks. He also said I’m going to need to get into some orthotics as I am going to need to keep good support under the arch of my broken foot from here on.

        I haven’t been prescribed any physical therapy, which isn’t so surprising with my fractures. I’ve read sometimes it can do more harm than good and I’m still having to take it easy. He said to start walking more to try to turn around some of my calcium loss, but I’m not supposed to walk more than a quarter mile at a time.

        If you aren’t already taking calcium supplements, I would suggest you start now. I do hope you are healing well and the lis franc is not something you’ll have to contend with. Keep your chin up, things will get better! 🙂

    • Posted by Lynne on November 22, 2009 at 10:57 pm

      Hi Angie and footsahurtn,
      Wk 8 – stood on my foot for the fiirst time since injury for the wt bearing xrays, compared left foot 2,3,4, met fxs and lis franc joint with uninjured right foot. Dr says fxs are healing but injured foot bones now have osteopenia due to non wt bearing for past 8 wks, says I should begin wt bearing with crutches 25% for 3 days, then progress to 50% for approx 3 days, then 75% until I can wt bear 100% without significant pain. then toss crutches and wear sneakers. Says to expect increased swelling, bruising and to elevate and ice as needed. Expects osteopenia to resolve with the wt bearing. He is still concerned that lis franc ligament may possibly have damage, even tho joint space on xray is okay at this point, so will re-xray and evaluate in 4 wks (12 wks post injury) after I’ve been wt bearing 100%. I’m up to the 50% and tolerating it okay, but noticing a new pain right where the ligament is located. If ligament is damaged, it’ll be time for surgery.
      So how are you all progressing?


      • Posted by Angie on November 24, 2009 at 8:26 am

        Hi, Lynne. Good news about the lis franc! I just “celebrated” my 20-week mark. I’ve been out of the cam walker for about 4 weeks and in regular shoes. I’m still in a lot of pain and have a serious limp. 🙂 I go back to the ortho surgeon on Monday and am hoping things are finally healed or at least close.

        The ligament and tendon pain is normal when you start weight bearing, everything needs to “unfreeze.” My main pain these days is coming from my arch. I’m supposed to start wearing orthotics, but I think I’m still in a little denial about that.

        Needless to say, I’m so ready for this to be over with. Five months of this is enough and I’m tired of people asking “what’s the matter with you? Why aren’t you healed?” If I only knew… lol

  16. Posted by Jan Ford on September 15, 2009 at 1:01 am

    Glad that I found this blog!

    On 7-19-09, I simply stepped off of a kitchen chair onto my hardwood floor. It felt like I had jumped off of a building. Thinking and hoping it was a bad stone bruise, I didn’t go get it x-rayed for a few days. When I went to a local clinic, the x-ray showed that I had dislocated the 3rd metarsal bone in the ball of my foot.

    Went to orthopedic surgeon and the next day went to outpatient hospital. They put me to sleep with Michael Jackson Special and put a tiny pin through my my toe instead of under the toe like your doctor did. The pin ran perfectly through the bone and not offcentered like yours. It remained there for about a month, and then I had to go back to the hospital, be put back to sleep again and have it removed. To remove it, the dr. made a small incision in my toe with one stitch.

    I’m wearing a Nike rubber-padded straprunner sandal now, but I’m putting most pressure on my heel when I walk and not actually putting full weight on the ball of my foot. I can’t really go barefoot through the house, so I always wear the Nike sandal. I told the dr. that it would hurt if I walked in a store and go numb. He said to see if it was still doing this after another month and to call him back.

    I’m 56 with Rheumatoid Arthritis, but the dr. said that this was a freak accident.

    Are you and anyone else who cares to respond, able to walk on their foot after about six weeks since surgery? I wonder just how long and if this will heal properly. Worried I’ll be sitting here on the sofa and unable to walk somewhat normally again.

    You never know how lucky you are until something like this happens.


    • Huh!!! I also broke the 3rd met bone but haven’t found much info. My (social med) doctor on Aruba just put it in a cast for 4 wks. (I have 2 1/2 more weeks to go.) I questioned if it needed to be in traction or pinned because, even though it was a clean, slanted break, the ends are cock-eyed! Was your’s a straight break or slanted? I’m thinking I will need to get a “real” doctor’s 2nd opinion when I go back to the states in a few months. After 5 years, are you completely over it or are you still having issues?


      • Gail, I tried to post a note about my experience, but this website failed to post it. If I could send you my x-ray photo, it would show the 3rd metatarsal side by side. I went to an orthapedic surgeon, who did the surgery. It took me several months to get where I could walk without feeling discomfort. (I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, so I have to wear open-toe shoes and Nike ACG Sandals that I buy on eBay. The other day my opposite foot was hurting, and I was glad it wasn’t the injured one. lol) If you could send me your e-mail address, I could forward the x-rays.

  17. Posted by brooke on October 19, 2009 at 1:08 pm

    hi all after spending 3 hrs i finally found this brilliant site . After reading though i defo got off lucky . When i saw the xray of your foot i was shocked i hope you are well now and the rest of you are too. here is my little story . 4 days ago i somehow managed to fall while climbing up stairs and and landed badly on my foot ( nope wasnt drinking lol) omg the pain i managed to get home my poor foot at first didnt look too bad apart from the pain but afer an hour the foot was massive and swollen. I decided to leave it til the morning had a terrible nite couldnt sleep . The next day i popped along to the x ray unit by this time apart from being in 24 continous pain it was 3 times the size of my other foot they xrayed it and found a broken 4th Metatarsal thankfully it was in allingment and it was even neally missed in xray good sign i hope, anyway i have been put into a hard cast for 2 weeks where i been told i can partially try to walk on it if the pain lets me , after spenidn a few days crawling around and even using a office chair i couldnt wait to stand ( yip got crutches but i cant stand them ) i did ok with the crutches and the cast of course the pain is there but im trying to figure a comfortable way to walk. Apart from a swollen foot and toes and painful to the touch im hoping as each day goes by i will see an improvement . I wish all of you good health

    Take care

    excuse the spelling mistakes 😉


  18. Posted by Lynne on November 1, 2009 at 10:37 pm

    So how is your progress? I’m nearly 6 wks post injury and would be interested in knowing what to expect. The thought of ever standing on this foot again is daunting to say the least!


    • Posted by footsahurtin on January 5, 2010 at 9:45 pm

      How is your foot progressing Lynne?


      • Posted by Lynne on May 15, 2010 at 6:39 pm

        Hi Everyone…It’s been 7 months since my Lis Franc 2nd, 3rd and 4th metatarsal displaced fractures and I have good news. I am walking in my regular shoes normally now and have been released by my orthopedic surgeon with “you are very lucky”.My final xrays showed the fractures healed well in excellent alignment with the osteopenia nearly completely resolved. No swelling or pain of the foot or ankle any longer. It’s been a long haul for sure, and I’ve had to restrain myself from doing too much too soon, but it’s been worth it for the slow and steady progress. Dr. says no reason why I won’t be able to run again, but I’m going to take this slowly also. For those of you that have not read my previous posts, I elected to initally not have surgery (one surgeon recommended immediate surgery, the other gave me the option of waiting up to 3 months to have surgery)As swelling and bruising subsided I was able to wiggle my toes and ankle gently several times a day to keep the joints flexible.Since xrays every couple of weeks showed my displaced fractures had realigned on their own, I did NOT need surgery at all, I did not ever put any weight on my foot for several months and kept my foot elevated whenever possible as dr. directed. I found that when physical therapy was prescribed, it wasn’t anything I couldn’t do at home on my own and saved some money. Important to start using that wasted calf muscle and ankles as soon as dr. says because that was a huge challenge for me.It takes time to rebuild those muscles, gain flexibility and balance again.I initally wore good stable soled laceup well cushioned walking shoes in a 1/2 size larger shoe.Week by week I progressed to a normal, steady gait, the swelling became less and less each week (ankle swelled the most initially when I began walking) and now I can be on my feet most of the day. Only difference in my foot after 7 months is that my middle (3 phalanges) toe first joint (proximal) does not flex/curl , the distal joint does, dr. says it is tendon damage and that there is no surgery for it and that it won’t effect my walking/running. It has been a long 7 months and I now do NOT wear flip flops and walk in the dark! I just celebrated my 60th birthday and can take my grandkids to the park, climb steps and take long walks on the beach at sunset. I am very thankful and want to encourage all of you that you WILL heal. Be encouraged, I know how hopeless I felt at times but be patient, you will progress. Blessings to you all, Lynne

    • Lynne, I just saw your update and had to reply. I am so happy your recovery went so well.

      Mine was a 2nd, 3rd and 4th metatarsal break, as well. I had slight displacement, but did not have surgery either. I was unable to bear weight for 3 months. I never saw my final x-ray at 5 months when the ortho surgeon released me, but he said it was healed and there was nothing else he could do.

      I still have problems, however. I have had to go up 1/2 size in shoes as I still have swelling. I can only be on my feet for a couple hours before the pain sets in and my limp returns with a vengeance. I do hope at some point in time those things will subside.

      I am going on 11 months in a few weeks and at this point, I am not sure my foot will ever be the same again. I have at times questioned my care. Despite supposedly being the best ortho surgeon in the area, I do not seem to have had the same results as others I have spoken to. Maybe I expect too much at this stage. I am still cautious of everything I do to avoid any mishaps. With no further direction upon my release, I am not sure what I can do to get back up to par.


      • Posted by Lynne on May 18, 2010 at 12:53 am

        Hi Angie, So sorry to learn that you are still having swelling and pain after 10 months. I know it helped me be less fearful when my dr showed me my xrays, compared them with previous xrays and explained what was happening with my foot.When I was still having swelling, he instructed me to elevate my foot and told me that it would take a year to 18 months possibly for the circulation to improve and the swelling to decrease.I was very surprised that my foot responded more quickly than he had predicted…he was surprised also. So, it may possibly be that you are on schedule.On my own, I researched to understand how the body responds when a bone is broken, what the body needs in the bone healing process and found vitamin / mineral supplements to assist in that process and began taking them right after my injury that possibly may have contributed to my results.I took and continue to take Ortho Molecular Products Pro Bono Premium Bone Building/Bone Retention Pak and also Pure Essence Labs Ionic-Fizz Calcium Plus. I know also that if I wear shoes with inserts that put pressure on my arch in the wrong spot, I start to feel discomfort, even in my shin area of my lower leg…much like shin splints would feel, and my gait can be effected, so I still must be careful with my arch support and the shoes I wear.I found that I must wear shoes that keep my foot from spreading out. I find that I need to do a great deal more stretching of my calf muscle in the morning before I begin walking and frequent flexing and massaging of my ankle, foot and toes has helped. I am still progressing, week by week, and try not to get discouraged that I am not 100%.I do not run or jump and won’t even try to do so yet as I don’t want any setbacks.It’s been a very slow but steady progress. Before my injury, I was a very physically active / fit person, and to be honest with you, I doubt that I will ever be at that level again. I’m accepting that pretty much now. There is much I can do and enjoy and am happy to be progressing. I hope you will be encouraged that even though progress may be slow, it is still progress and heading in the right direction. Did you have any physical therapy or exercise instructions from your dr?

      • Hey, Lynne. Sorry I haven’t been back, I’ve been pretty busy lately.

        I had no physical therapy, or really any direction for exercises from my ortho surgeon. I definitely think there is some kind of ongoing damage in there; soft tissue, nerve, arthritis, or otherwise. Some days are good, some days are bad and I it really doesn’t correspond with my activity level.

        I did finally break down and get arch supports. My OS initially suggested them when I first got back into shoes, but after a few weeks had passed and it wasn’t really bothering me he said I may get by without them. Well, it’s bothering me now. 🙂 It’s summer though, how wants to wear hot shoes? I guess I’ll have to live with that.

        After such a long, drawn out, scary ordeal, I’m still entirely to scared to back into the doctor. (And expensive!)

  19. Posted by footsahurtin on November 4, 2009 at 10:47 pm

    November Update!
    Hi all it’s me, Dave the author of this blog. I apologize for not writing in a while.
    Well…. Not to sound discouraging to others suffering in a similar situation, but after ore than 5 months, my limp is getting worse and the pain is increasing as well. However it is no doubt specific to my own particular situation and surgery. I can tell you that the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th metatarsal fractures have healed well and pose little problem… a bit sore now and then but getting better and entirely bearable. It is the dislocated and fractured base of the 1st metatarsal that is giving issue, and likely because my foot is wanting to heal and move in positions that the metal plate and screws is not permitting. My surgeon cannot with certainty isolate the pain or diagnose exactly what is causing it, but the good news is that this Monday, Nov. 9, I go under the knife again to have the hardware removed. I am excited and hopeful that true healing will begin at that point and that I will soon be able to walk without the pain and the limp.


  20. Posted by C Champ on November 4, 2009 at 11:03 pm

    Oh, I guess I am truly lucky!! I had my surgery 7/1, casted, air casted and then, off for good on 9/11 when we left for vacation. Although my shoe size is 1/2 size bigger than before the accident, I am walking, jogging and moving with no pain. I keep bending my toes forward and back so that I don’t develop “hammer toe” as my doctor recommended. I was also told that I will keep the plate and screws in place unless they bother me. (I did go through the airport with my medical notes but the xray machines didn’t pick it up – a little disconcerting.) I wish you all well and hope that I don’t have to re-post to this site. Good health!


    • Posted by footsahurtin on November 4, 2009 at 11:34 pm

      I too have traveled through a few airports since my injury, and the detector did not pick up the hardware. I think it because only the screws are stainless steel and the plate itself is made of titanium. Not enough ferrous metal to set off the detector.


      • Posted by footsahurtin on November 19, 2009 at 10:49 pm

        Clarification: Just got my hardware out last week and it’s ALL titanium… the plate and the screws. Surgery was about 40 minutes. Healing well after 10 days. Still some pain and swelling. Still limping. I’m expecting that this marks the true beginning of my recovery.

      • Footsahurtin, how do we post photos or x-rays on here?

        Gail just posted and wanted to know if my third metatarsal break was similar to hers.

    • Posted by Jon Spears on May 2, 2013 at 2:09 am

      Hi dave. I actually experienced/am experiencing what you went through right now. I broke my 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th metatarsal clean in half… well not clean but you get the picture. It was a freak accident on a diving board and my foot actually folded upward. I went through surgery a day after and had 3 pins inserted along with 2 titanium screws that are in there for life. It was a very depressing time for me cause I was a very active 20 year old. But once it came time to start walking on it after 4 long months I wasn’t going to let it hold me back from things I love doing. It was agonizing learning to use it again and the sight of my muscle-less leg wasn’t much of a motivational boost. But its currently seven and a half months after my accident and honestly i’m very content with were I’m at. I am able to run, jump and workout like just before. I mean yea, I have pain and soreness in my foot all the time due to scar tissue but at least I can be active. I’m currently undergoing my own personalized rehab training to try and even out my strengths in my left and right legs/feet. Ive lost quite a bit of flexibility and explosiveness but I’m not going to give in. I thank god that I’m able to just walk but hes restored most of my physical ability and its honestly a miracle if you would have seen my x rays. Its something we cant take for granted and this whole experience has made me realize this.


      • Posted by jake on October 3, 2013 at 10:46 pm

        awesome m8 I have the same injury though a surfing accident sounds like you are back on track this is positive and good to hear of a positive outcome cheers for your post as I want to surf again

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: